Dec 16, 2010

Is Yahoo about to kill Delicious? | VentureBeat

Is Yahoo about to kill Delicious? | VentureBeat
This really sucks. I've been using delicious since Feb. 2006. (This was my first bookmark: gapingvoid how to be creative (long version)
I was introduced to this site while living at the bluehouse with Iggy and Jason. I had never heard of it until Jason said, "Hey have you signed up on delicious yet?". AS a matter of fact, I was still using IE7 like a dumbass. Two things happened as a result of using delicious that have forever changed the way I browse, use and develop internet technologies. First, I switched to firefox. And the second was i began to understand and incorporate tags into my bookmarks. In case you're unsure of why tags are a big deal, check this out:
Tags are one-word descriptors that you can assign to your bookmarks on Delicious to help you organize and remember them. Tags are a little bit like keywords, but you choose them yourself and they do not form a hierarchy. You can assign as many tags to a bookmark as you like and you can always rename or delete the tags later. So, tagging can be a lot easier and more flexible than fitting your information into preconceived categories or folders.
Many people use the same word to tag, even when they may mean very different things. Tag Descriptions allow you to describe your tags for yourself and others visiting your bookmarks. To use Tag Descriptions, go to one of your tag pages there will be a link to "create tag description" at the top right, which leads to the interface for creating a Tag Description. Please note that Tag Descriptions are always public. To edit or delete your tag description, visit that tag page while logged in and you will see links to edit and delete.
So you can see why and how they are important. I could go on and about this, and the significance of the tag element in HTML and Javascript- but I have to call ATT to deal with my DSL and why I can't switch to fiber (I mean- come on, 24MBS at my studio- for under a hundred dollars! I'll lay the fiber myself for that price). So I'm gonna deal with that now. more later
Enhanced by Zemanta